At Cinnabar, being a performer in one of our productions includes training in theater arts and learning the value of working together as an ensemble. Students may walk in our doors as individuals, but are encouraged to embrace the idea that we are at our strongest and most artistically bold when we work together. Our process-based program strives to have students take true ownership over what they present on stage while working alongside professional directors, choreographers, and designers. Together, we delve into the artistic significance of a production by learning about the history and culture of that show.
We encourage students of all levels of experience to embark on this journey with us – with the only prerequisites being imagination, energy, and passion. We welcome you to the Young Rep family as we celebrate the power of theater and education.
Here are some frequently asked questions about auditioning for a Young Rep show:
1. How do I schedule an audition?
- Call us at 707-763-8920 to secure an audition time slot.
- Audition dates and times can be found by clicking the “Participate” link above.
- Auditions slots are in 5- or 10-minute increments.
- For musicals, we ask you to prepare a song in the style of that show. Please bring sheet music, as we provide an accompanist.
- For plays, we ask you to prepare a monologue in the style of the play.
2. What should I bring to my audition?
- Fill out an Enrollment Form and bring it with you to the audition.
- Please arrive early enough that you can complete any missing paperwork before your audition.
- Please bring a list off all your scheduling conflicts throughout the rehearsal process.
3. Where are auditions held?
- All auditions are held at the theater.
- Our address is 3333 Petaluma Blvd North, Petaluma, CA 94952.
- Click here for directions.
4. What happens during an audition?
- When you arrive, please hand in your audition form and your list of scheduling conflicts.
- When it’s time for your audition, you will be brought into the audition room.
- Once in the audition room, your audition should not take more than 10 minutes.
- Parents, relatives, and friends are not allowed to watch auditions.
- When you’ve finished your audition, you are free to go.
5. What are callbacks?
- Callbacks are a time for directors to take a closer look at certain performers.
- Generally, callbacks take place one week after auditions.
- You’ll be notified by e-mail if you need to attend the callback session.
- Don’t worry! If you are not called back, it does not mean that we do not have a fantastic part for you in the show. Likewise, if you are called back it does not mean you are guaranteed a part in the show.
5. When is casting announced?
- As soon as casting is complete, everyone who auditioned will be notified by e-mail.
- The Young Rep is open to all levels of experience. Every show is made up of veteran performers alongside people who are new to the stage.
- We would love to cast everyone who auditions, but unfortunately we cannot. The cozy size of our stage, dressing room, and backstage area is part of what makes Cinnabar so special – yet it also means that we can only fit a certain amount of people in each show.
- It is a difficult thing to say no to a young performer and one that we do not take lightly. Please know that if we do not have a part for you in this production, chances are that we’ll have a great role for you in a future show.
If you have any questions about auditions or our Young Rep, please reach out to Education Director Nathan Cummings at 707-763-8920 or firstname.lastname@example.org.